image source vogue.in
Sustainable Fashion – Buying Guide
Welcome to our Sustainable Fashion buying guide! We are excited to offer our readers a comprehensive overview of the different types of sustainable fashion available on the market today. By reading this guide, you'll be able to make informed decisions when shopping for sustainable clothing, and you'll be helping to protect the environment in the process.
In this guide, we will cover the following topics:
What is sustainable fashion?
Sustainable fashion is clothing that is designed to last longer and be more eco-friendly. It aims to reduce the environmental impact of clothing production, while also ensuring that people who produce and consume sustainable fashion are compensated fairly for their work.
There are several ways in which sustainable fashion can be implemented - from using natural dyes and fabrics to avoiding waste during manufacturing, sourcing sustainably produced materials whenever possible, and recycling or upcycling old clothes into new ones.
Types of sustainable fashion
There are several different types of sustainable fashion, some of which are more environmentally friendly than others.
Here is a brief overview of the three most popular types: eco-friendly, organic, and Fair Trade.
- Eco-friendly fashion is made from materials that have been sustainably sourced or that have been processed in a way that does not damage the environment. This type of clothing typically uses natural dyes and fabrics and often features recycled or recyclable materials. Some companies go even further by certifying their products as Eco-Friendly or Fair Trade certified.
- Organic fashion is made using only natural ingredients whenever possible. This means items such as shampoos, conditioners, lotions, cosmetics (excluding mascara), and fabrics must be free from harmful chemicals like formaldehyde gas and hydrocarbons。 Most organic garments are also biodegradable to some degree - for example, they can decompose in water if wetted down sufficiently。
- Finally, fair trade apparel refers to clothing manufactured ethically by workers who receive a decent wage along with benefits including health care、education、, and protection from discrimination. Many fair trade organizations vet suppliers very carefully before awarding certification.
The benefits of sustainable fashion
Here are six of the most important benefits of sustainable fashion:
- Sustainable clothing is environmentally friendly because it reduces the amount of energy and materials needed to create them.
- Sustainable fashion is better for your health because it uses fewer hazardous chemicals and paints that are harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
- Sustainable fashion is ethically sound because it helps promote social justice by helping small businesses and independent designers achieve a fair distribution of revenue worldwide.
- Sustainable fashion can help conserve resources like water, cotton, and woolen fabric supplies, which can be essential in times of drought or economic recessionary conditions.
- Sustainably produced clothing often lasts longer than traditional items due to its higher quality construction and attention to detail. (A study by The Economist found that clothes made with organic fabrics last twice as long as those made with non-organic fabrics).
Buying sustainable fashion doesn’t just mean avoiding clothes made with toxic dyes and chemicals. It also means staying away from those who use unethical manufacturing processes, like forced labor and child labor.
The Guide above gives you all the information that you need to make a conscious choice when buying new sustainable fashions at home or in your favorite store. The key is to be on guard against hidden exploitation of people's basic rights while still getting good quality pieces that can last for years in your wardrobe too!